A History of Leadership
Excellence. Innovation. Commitment to the community. Saint Luke’s rich tradition of community and private support has sustained these values for over a century.
Saint Luke's history of leadership began more than 125 years ago when members of St. Mary’s Episcopal Church established a hospital in downtown Kansas City with the aid of private contributions.
At that time in history, hospitals were seen as places of last resort. However, this group sought to create a world-class hospital that provided high quality care for all, regardless of their ability to pay. Their dream was realized when All Saints Hospital – the legal predecessor to Saint Luke's – was opened at 10th and Campbell streets in 1885.
The hospital moved twice before opening at it current location in 1923. Today's facility hardly resembles the orginal structure. Thanks to community support, the hospital has expanded over the years to accommodate new technology and the needs of a growing community.
We are grateful to the generations of donors who have continued Saint Luke's rich tradition of private support – and helped to advance care for patients today and in the future.
History of Saint Luke's Foundation
Saint Luke’s Foundation was founded in 1963 to support medical education, research, and patient programs. Through the years, it has undertaken four major campaigns to further the mission of Saint Luke's Hospital:
- The 1970-1973 capital campaign raised $3 million in private gifts to help expand the hospital and provide new surgical intensive care and cardiovascular care units.
- The Celebrate! Campaign from 1987-89 secured $13 million for medical education and research and expansion of the hospital’s heart institute.
- From 1994-97, the Strength Amidst Change Campaign provided $59 million for medical education and research programs, building a sky bridge over Wornall Road, and establishing the first endowed chairs in Saint Luke’s history.
- The Campaign for the New Saint Luke’s from 2003-2007 raised $85 million for campus improvements, medical and education programs, research, and community services.